Thursday, September 10, 2009

Chugging Along

Well, my internet just died in Nature of Language, the most boring class to ever grace the face of the earth (other than geosystems) so I figured I'd be mildly productive (in the loosest sense of the word) and update this :D

Against my will, I'll split this up into sections just so I can organize what I'm saying, but I maintain that the different sections of this have huge overlap.

The Classes

I suppose the biggest news in this area is that I dropped analysis. It wasn't that I had anything against the class or the teacher. The problem(s) was/were really that it was (a) really hard (b) not required for my major (c) had a distinct lack of people I would ever want to associate with. I'm sort of sad I dropped it, because it was really interesting. But hey, I got to replace it with something, so I guess we'll move on.

The class I replaced it with, as many of you know, is Chinese! >_> I'm not entirely sure what I'm up to in that class, maybe I should've just continued German. But whatever! The class is pretty funny so far. I know all of 12 characters. No idea how to say anything at all. It's just like my German.

My teacher also loves to talk about asian culture and compare it to other cultures. My class has almost everything covered - there are caucasians, african-americans, koreans, even a spanish guy. However, until I showed up, there were no Indians! The professor was so overjoyed. I am now apparently the resident Indian culture expert. Yeah, this shouldn't go too well. I mean, seriously. I'm pretty sure I just finished eating a cheeseburger right before I showed up to class. A prime example of Indian culture indeed.

Concepts of Math continues to be my favorite class ever. I thought about it, and it most strongly reminds me of Honors Math with Mr. Williams. We're even doing the same material - logic, sets, methods of proof - I laugh more in that class than all the others combined. True, I should be more responsible and not start the homework at 1 am the day it's due, but so far it hasn't killed me. After doing Dr. Osborne's complex homework the night before, this is cake. Cheesecake in fact. Mmm ....

Remember my two "joke classes?" Freshmen Immigration and Computing @ CMU? Yeah. As it turns out, I could be doing better in those classes. We just had our first computing test. It was brutal. Computing is a pass-fail course, meaning we need a 75%. I most certainly did not get a 75% on that test >_>. There were questions like "Where can you access your grades? Check all that apply" with choices like "the hub" "the cmu portal" etc etc. I'm sitting there wondering what on earth those things are.

In freshmen immigration, there is only one type of homework. Every so often, the instructor (my advisor) sends out an email containing a "clue." For example, one of them said "I am standing next to the third president of Carnegie Mellon." The third president was Robert Doherty, and there's a building called Doherty Hall. So you go there, take a picture of yourself in front of it, and email it to him. The first 60 or so pictures get 1 point. Sadly, I didn't get any of the first three pictures in. I was 15 minutes late on one of them -_-. I got an email from Jacobo expressing his disappointment in the fact that I hadn't sent anything in. So when he sent the fourth clue out, I SPRINTED to the office of the dean (the place where we were supposed to go) only to find some 30 other CS majors already there. Unfortunately, the Dean got rather grumpy with us because he was in a conference call. Good work, Jacobo. I did however, get the picture in. Take that. I will so pass that one unit (1/3 of a credit) pass-fail class.

The Dorm

Allow me to direct your attention to our new website! www.schlounge.com contains ... nothing at the moment. I really have no idea what we're gonna do with it. Apparently the domain name was 8$, so a few kids on my floor jumped at the opportunity. There's an artist with a tablet who plans to draw stuff, people who plan to post a "challenge" (not sure why this isn't a Schallenge but whatever) every day, etc. Should be a fun thing to check out. I might even make an appearance there.

To. Be. Continued. Wasted 2 hours playing smash.

5 comments:

  1. simplified chinese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. =DDDDDDDDDDD LET'S PRACTICE CHINESE TOGETHER VED

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait... complex homework last night? o_0

    And what if you don't have a camera? Do you fail freshman immigration?

    Also your "Concepts of Math" class seems to cover the same material as my discrete class... except mine's boring =(

    I'm ridiculously jealous of how much fun you're having (or at least how much I assume you're having based on your blog entries)... UVA is really boring =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH!!! CHINESE CLASS!
    That's what I'm taking too. Wanna have skype study sessions? XD

    ReplyDelete