Monday, May 2, 2011

Facebook

In general I do not attempt to attack anything on this blog. So I'll preface this with the fact that I do not mean to insult anyone with this post. What I say is personal preference. It does not apply to everyone. I only ask that you consider what I say in a serious and critical manner.

Facebook bothers me. Every word I read on it seems so fake, so artificial, so contrived. All geared toward presenting a personality that is incomplete. Every single feature does an excellent job of highlighting the most irrelevant and useless details about a person. Why on earth is "friend count" displayed, and in such a prominent location? I literally cannot think of a single reason. Why do they count the number of "likes" on a post, count the number of pictures that you're tagged in? Complete garbage, all of it. The worst of it is, I see people I highly respect falling for this popularity contest. I do not mean to judge. I've just seen myself ... under its influence, for lack of a better word.

In short, it brings out the worst in people. It may be suited for other people. I don't mean to imply I'm better than them, or anything of the sort. But in my case in particular, when I look at my profile I see something that isn't representative of me at all. And I find it hard to believe that a simple profile or a series of jokes and links could ever hope to represent a person. We are far more complex, far more intelligent, and far more difficult to understand than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment