Sunday, April 12, 2009

Reflections: German Podcast

I just realized I never posted this. I will post about Myrtle Beach when I get back, but that won't be until Monday night. So until then, read this.

------------------------------

As the winners of the grant to TJ by the authors of the Rule of Four, the foreign language department decided to put the money to good use. Students should apparently write their own stories and release them on iTunes as podcasts! Yes! Nothing better to do with 10,000 dollars!

Our class theme was "Das Loeserteam" which translates roughly to "Problem Solving Team"

The members are group were the same as the infamous Ostern Presentation: Jacob D, Me, Renjie, and Eric. Is it really a coincidence that none of us took AP German? >_>

There's not much explaining to do on this one: Just sit back, relax, and enjoy. Actually, I can't post the actual file because it's in german. So read this translation instead. The casting was as follows:

Eric - [Problem solving team member number] 1
Renjie - [Problem solving team member number] 2
Ved - Hans Basu-Bomgardner
Jacob - Herr Daniels

Hans: Herr Daniels?
Herr Daniels: Yes, Hans. What?
Hans: Why don't you like me?
Herr Daniels: Firstly, you get terrible grades. Secondly, there is always an empty chair in my classroom.
Hans: ... but you have extra chairs!
Herr Daniels: I am not finished! When you do come to school, you don't even pay attention!
Hans: Now are you finished?
Herr Daniels: Yes, I am finished.
Hans: But I have an excuse! I am a superhero, and every day I save people!
Herr Daniels: I doubt it.
Hans: If I were not a superhero, could I FLY?!?!?
Renjie makes whooshing sounds
Herr Daniels: Man! You ARE really a superhero!
Hans: Therefore you should show me some respect!
Herr Daniels: That doesn't explain your attitude in my class! You have NO EXCUSE!
Hans: What? I'm afraid you don't understand! You must give me a better grade!
Herr Daniels: No! Get lost [We actually learned this phrase in class. According to online dictionaries, the actual translation is "f*** off" ...]

2: Wow! The teacher is so mean!
1: The teacher is mean?!?! No! A child who talks like that to his teacher surely has no brain!
2: You're joking! He saves people every day! He's an exception!
1: Wait! We shouldn't fight. We should solve the problem, because we are the problem-solving team!
2: Yeah. It's Hans's fault that he's so arrogant. But the teacher should be nicer, and give Hans a chance!
1: I agree! Let's go!
2: Where are we going?
1: We must meet Herr Daniels and Hans!

1: Hello, Herr Daniels und Hans. We are the problem-solving team!
Hans: Why? Can you never win? [A terrible attempt at a pun: Loeserteam ~ Loserteam]
2: No, we solve problems! Hans, we understand why your teacher hates you, and we understand your anger as well!
Hans: I'm not angry! I'm right!
1: For example, you don't use a formal tone.
Hans: Why is that so bad?
1: Because you must show respect!
2: And Herr Daniels, you are also at fault. Before today you have never tried to discuss the problem. If I were you, I would have met with Hans.
Herr Daniels: I see your point. Hans, I understand that you have a lot of responsibility. It must be quite difficult to keep your life organized. Now that I know the problem, I think much more highly of you. But please, try to work harder in my class! You won't always be a superhero! Later you will have to find a job! You can't do that without an education from me! I hope from the bottom of my heart that you believe me. I admit that I've always sort of liked you. I have only your best interests at hard. I would do anything for you to see what I'm saying!
[We wanted to get revenge on Jacob for once again not doing anything, so we gave him this long, passionate monologue. He responded by reading it in a monotone]
Hans: Fine.
2: Wonderful! The Problem-solving team has solved another problem!
1+2: That's it! Bye!

This was in contrast to more typical problems that other groups did, such as "The Drama of Homecoming Week." Frau Vaden complimented us on our reading of it, and I'm fairly sure we did not get a failing grade for this project! That said, I don't think she ever got around to giving it a grade at all. Clearly we deserved an A+ though.

In summary, german class was a party.

8 comments:

  1. Yea this was pretty hilarious, despite having read it before on xanga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O_o
    you have a xanga? what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA
    MY WORD VERIFICATION WAS HYDRA
    LOLOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. loool...

    Jacob: I admit that I've always sort of liked you.
    Ved: Me too! Let's move to Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, podcasts, what a great plan
    I remember when Mr. Otani told us we had to do that. Luckily I never had to do anything, because my folktale sucked and was hell of generic >_>

    But basically, the Rule of Four grant is terrible

    ReplyDelete
  6. we were appanretly supposed to do some podcast too
    but we never did do it mwahaha poor underclassmen

    ReplyDelete