Friday, November 6, 2009

The Long and the Short

I was playing foosball with someone the other day, who told me about his last Quantum Chem test.

Apparently he came across a problem involving a potential well. It asked him to calculate the probability that it would tunnel through some barrier, given some constraints. He had no idea how to do the problem. So instead he made two drawings.

In the first drawing, he shows two particles standing at the cusp of the well (just as it dips downward). One particle has a speech bubble. It says "You can't do that! This is madness!!!"

The other particle, as you might have guessed, has a speech bubble saying "THIS ... IS ... SPARTA!!!"

The second drawing details the second particle kicking the first particle into the potential well.

Then he scored on me because I was laughing too hard. Or at least, that's my excuse.

5 comments:

  1. XD I also forgot how to calculate likelihood of tunneling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait so you were playing foosball and looking at Quantum Chem diagrams at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I messed up on a reflection/transmission probability question for a potential barrier on my quantum test today >.>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Err ... he was describing it to me. He didn't actually have the test on him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol- i totally forgot that you were talking about foosball amid all of the 300 talk, so when you said he scored on you, I was like...uh...dude...what in the world does that mean?

    :D

    ReplyDelete